
On Saturday morning, the family packed up the car and made our way to Sandy, OR to the Rainbow Trout Farm. We had never been there before, so didn't know what to expect.
The day started out cold and pretty much stayed that way except when the sun would peek out for a second or two and I was a bad mother and dressed my kids (and myself) for 80+ degree weather. I saw that the weather was going to be 68 and sunny, but I seemed to focus on the sunny and didn't realize that this place would be surrounded by trees, which did not allow the sun to shine on us. The whole time I had Hannah bundled in a blanket and Jae was just freezing. His nose was red and his hands cold as ice. But that didn't seem to stop him from wanting to fish.



So we get there and the lady gives us a brief intro on the ins and outs to the place. We get our poles, bait, and bucket and go on our way. We ended up running into my friends Lynn and Janet and their families, so that was a fun surprise. So we wanted to catch the big fish and head right to a pond that has some larger fish. We didn't realize how easy and quick it would be to catch a fish. Within a minute of casting our pole, we had caught a fish. This happened for Stacey, Bill's dad, and Barb. It was hilarious watching them reel the fish in. It's been so long since I had been with my dad. It brought back a lot of good memories for me.

We decide to move to a smaller pond so Jae could catch some fish and I have to say that I actually put a worm on the hook. I was very proud of myself! Bill helped Jae cast a line and he caught one very quickly. Jae was very proud of his catch and went to catch two total.

We had caught six fish by then and decided that was enough for the group. So we found our picnic spot and set up for a nice meal and family fun. We had the farm clean our fish for us and Eric was kind enough to season them (which meant he got his hands all fishy). We forgot to bring foil and oil, so we went to the Farm's office and bought the foil for $2 dollars and also paid $2 dollars for the USE of their oil. The running joke was that everything in the store was $2 dollars!
The boys put the fish on the grill and then we sat and hung around and chatted with my friends Lynn and Janet and watched all the kids playing together. The fish was done and we got our grub on. There were some yummy sides and we ate till our tummies were full. The brownies were the highlight..unfortunately. =)


It was a great experience, I may do it again, but not for a while. I will remember to pack extra clothes and I would still go in the off season. It wasn't that busy, which I liked. Oh and one more thing...I've decided that I'm not a big fan of trout!
1 comment:
Glad you had a good time! Great photos! It looks like the area was really nice...it's nice to see some NW trees :) I didn't now you got to cook what you caught, that's neat.
So, why didn't you like trout? I'm not sure if I've ever had it.. does it have lots of bones?
Post a Comment