Saturday, August 23, 2008

Cloverfield - Movie Review

Bill and I finally watched Cloverfield. A movie by J.J. Abrams (Alias, LOST, What about Brian, and the new show, FRINGE). For those of you who aren't familiar with this movie, it's about a monster that invades Manhattan and wreaks havoc to the City (gee, sound familiar). This movie was filmed in the 'cinema verite' style - to make it look like it was filmed with one hand-held camera (think Blair Witch, but not as extreme).

The movie started slow, the plot, not that great. *SPOILER ALERT* Rob is trying to find the girl (Beth) that he likes and he goes from one part of the City to another. Throughout this attempt, he's got his friends in tow (one that is holding the camera THE ENTIRE TIME) and they encounter the monster and his little 'hatchlings'. He finally reaches the girl whose building is leaning against another building. So they climb 50+ flights of the building that is still erect and cross over to the building where Beth lives. When they find her, she's on her back impaled by a piece of rebar and STILL ALIVE!!! so Rob and his friends miraculously PULL HER OFF the rebar and make their way back to the other building and down 50+ flights and RUN towards the helicopters b/c the government was going to blow up the City in order to kill the monster. I know it's a movie, but WHATEVER!

Anyway, the monster is crazy looking and it made me jump once. The ending was typical in that they left it open for Cloverfield 2. That's a shame.

Here's what I learned from this movie:
a) Not impressed and wouldn't watch it again. Don't think I will watch #2.
b) Odette Yustman - I am SOOOO sad that October Road is canceled! I want to know how the show ends! Who is Sam's dad?
c) This is why rentals are the bomb! I saved myself and arm and a leg by watching it at home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I watched this movie on my computer with my friend while on a 4 hour bumpy bus ride in Romania! It was so bumpy and the whole shaky camera almost made me sick, but we somehow made it to the end. My friend had to just close her eyes the rest of the bus ride afterwards cuz it actually made her a little too motion sick. I liked it, but mostly because it was something to do while on the bus and it was quite entertaining. The monster made us jump so hard once, it was funny.

Patty G said...

I love the fact that you read and reply!

the movie wasn't terrible, but just not much too it. I only watched it b/c Bill's been wanting to see it for a while now. I'm just glad that we didn't go to the theater like he wanted when it first came out. My concern was that I would get sick, b/c I got sick watching Blair Witch. I can see how watching a movie like this on a shaky bus would make anyone sick!