Friday, July 25, 2008

Screech!

I was heading up to my parents' house on Thursday evening with Hannah in tow. Normally, she's pretty good about hanging out with me when driving up to Olympia, but Thursday night I saw another side to little Miss Hannah.

The first 30 minutes were typical. She fell asleep as I sat through the Portland traffic heading northbound. However, 10 minutes into Washington, she wakes up and starts screaming! At first I thought it would subside, but as I kept driving, she kept screaming. So I stopped at a gas station to comfort her and put her back in her seat so we can keep going. The moment I get on the freeway, the screaming starts again. I drive for 10 minutes more and pull off the freeway again. This time we spend like 20 minutes parked at a gas station. I change her diaper, I feed her, I pat her, I walk her around outside (thank goodness for summer light), and she seems pretty happy. So we are on our way and as I pass an exit on the freeway, she starts screaming again. By this time I've got Bill on the phone and I'm asking him if I should turn back around and go home or keep stopping and head up to my parents, because my level of patience was wearing VERY thin at this point..all of this while parked on an offramp with my hazards on..alone with a baby.

I end up staying on the side of the road on this offramp for 30 minutes trying to soothe this crying baby. She ends up spitting up all over herself from the crying, so I have to change her clothes. I decide to give her some tylenol to calm her down and within 10 minutes she was asleep. By this time, it's dark! The sun has set and I'm still parked on the side of the road with my hazards. I was praying that no one would stop by and knock on the window b/c I would have freaked!

Needless to say, she stayed asleep the rest of the way to the parents. And I'm sure come morning, she had no recollection of it at all.

SOOOOOO..

No comments: