Sunday, July 13, 2008

Rebuilt My Deck


I had ripped out all our neglected deck boards last week. I had replacement lumber delivered from Parr Lumber. 20 ft length lumber so our deck has no seams now. Brother-in-laws Jake and Eric came by around 9am on Saturday to help with the replacement. Took us 3 hours to do all cuts, dry fit all boards and screw down the first 14 boards. After a lunch break at Quizno's, Eric had to leave for work. That left Jake and I to finish the remaining boards. It was alot of screws (10 lbs) to put down and the 20 ft boards were hard to work with because of their bowing. I think Jake was on the verge of passing out so we just tacked down the last 5 or 6 boards and called it a night. I woke up Sunday and trimmed the joists so the last board would hang over the skirting a bit and hide any of my mistakes. Eventually, we'll have to build a couple of steps. We like the look of the deck without rails but we keep getting strange looks and whatnot. City of Tigard code states that decks under 30" of height do not require hand rails. My neighbor, Doug, might get rid of his deck and if his bench/rails fit my deck, we might use those.

No comments: